Question: How can we develop mature and faithful followers of Jesus Christ?
Our conversation: There were six of us from five different churches present for our discussion. The opening question that led to much discussion was; “Exactly what is discipleship?” We came away with agreeing that discipleship is an ongoing, growing, relationship with Christ and because of this relationship with him, we have an ongoing, nurturing relationship with his people. The foundation of these relationships is based upon our faith in the saving grace we have received from God.
Discussion about what we do and have been doing to develop mature and faithful followers of Jesus Christ brought these realities to surface:
We do not do the developing, that is up to God. But we can prepare the soil for growth by:
· Providing sound Bible studies for all and at different levels
· Prayer is essential: praying for, praying with, modeling our prayer life before others
· Providing good fellowship with and for those who are being discipled
· Providing opportunities for persons young in the faith to serve others
· Always show love and compassion for all
· Stay connected with those who have left the church for whatever reason
This includes but is not limited to:
· updating the church website with sermons/studies for people unable to attend services
· visiting those who do not have internet access or are not internet savvy
· have times of fellowship away from the physical church
The biggest take away was the understanding that patience is key and must be exercised by everyone.